Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Fianl script of the mission documentary

On august 2005, I went on a mission trip to Tijuana, Mexico with my church group.

We stayed in front of the beach. The sea breeze was cool. I felt like I was on a vacation. There were many people who greeted us. They sold accessories for a cheap price. One woman sold a bracelet for three dollars. Right next to her, a man sold the same bracelet for five dollars. My friend bought me the bracelet from him. I later found out that he was her husband.

The church we were to serve was twenty minutes away from the hotel. The houses were shabby and looked miserable. I felt pity for the poor people. I hoped that I could help them. I wanted to make them happy. We gathered young kids and did performances.


After that, we made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. They did not like them that much. They were not starving to death. Later, we ate ham and cheese sandwiches and then prayed for their faith and happiness.

On the next day, we made puppies, swords and hats with balloons. Some kids brought the balloons home and played with them. I felt sorry for the poor kids. They did not have fancy playgrounds, toys or Barbie dolls. We decided to buy toys and candies fro them. We bought a power ranger pinata and put all candies in there. Small kids started to hit the pinata. It was funny to see that. They were killing their hero.

One girl hit that character hard and all the candies fell down on the ground. All the kids started to grab the candies. They screamed and they fought each other. One big boy jumped onto the candies with his body and got half of them. People asked him to share candies with others, but he wouldn’t. He said that was the rule of the game. He was right.

One girl grabbed my hands and brought me to a field of flowers. We made rings, crowns, and necklaces with flowers. It reminded me of childhood. When I was young, my parents were not rich. We lived in the country side. There were small hills and rice fields.
On the last day, we went to the center for old people. That place was hot and smelled bad. The Mexican pastor brought homeless people there. There were many people who could not even move. We had to clean their faces and bodies. One girl said she did not want to get old. I talked my mom about those poor people. She said we have to save our money for the future if we don’t want to live like that.
<>

While we did performances, the people seemed very happy. The Mexican pastor told us that they are not afraid to die because they believe in God.

2 comments:

admin said...

Actually this might work better if you take out the first sentence and just start at the beach.

Jihyun Kim said...

Do you mean don't mention the location??
The title is the "mission trip", so I think I don't have to mention that I went to the mission trip...
How about the location??
people might be curious about the location.
I have a footage of the map of Tijuana.
Then, can I replace the first sentence with the map??